The following activities are being supported under the USAID Climate Change and Food Security Project in Vanuatu:
Climate change adaptation project
The project aimed to evaluate and implement innovative techniques and management approaches to increasing the climate change resilience of terrestrial food production systems for communities in Vanuatu. It did so by introducing integrated agricultural production systems after conducting vulnerability assessments at selected sites.
Pilot sites reflecting integrated agricultural farming systems were established in 3 communities on Ureparapara, Sola and Santo with a range of farming systems. Vulnerability assessments, including participatory rural assessments, were conducted for all three sites in June 2013 to identify and prioritize adaption measures.
Further information can be found in the following:
- Vanuatu Agriculture Sector Policy
- Climate Change and Food Security Vulnerability Assessment for Divers Bay Village, Ureparapara, Torba Province, Vanuatu
Technical assistance with mainstreaming of climate change and improving adaptation strategies
The project aimed to build national capacity to utilise GIS tools and techniques to help identify key areas of food supply vulnerability, and monitor vegetation and land cover change over time. Activities were supported by improved land-system data and analysis tools such as vegetation and land use mapping and the application of GIS.
Further information can be found in the following technical and meeting reports:
- Technical Exchange on building resilience to climate change and strengthening food security in PICTs: Meeting Summary Record
- Pacific Adaptation Scenarios (Cost & Benefits) Case Studies: Solomon Islands and Vanuatu
- Final Report: 2014 Vanuatu Climate Zone Quiz
- Report Status of Activities and Results of USAID Funded Food Security Activities
Training and Capacity Building
Trainings and Capacity building activities were also provided to facilitate the development of national and community agriculture related adaptation response strategies.
As part of the USAID Food Security project, the trainings below were delivered in Vanuatu:
- Vanuatu-Kiribati Livestock & Climate Change Exchange Visit 23-27 September 2013: LESSONS LEARNED REPORT
- Regional workshop on integrating gender perspective in food security in the context of climate change Workshop Report
- SPC/USAID Lessons Learnt Workshop Report
Follow the USAID Food Security and Climate Change Project in Vanuatu video link to view the short documentary.