The EU – North Pacific – Readiness for El Niño (RENI) project
The RENI project is about communities working to secure food and water resources ahead of drought. The project is funded with € 4.5 million from the European Union and implemented by the Pacific Community (SPC) in collaboration with the governments and peoples of Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), Republic of Marshall Islands (RMI) and Palau.
Following the declarations of emergency by the FSM, RMI and Palau at the beginning of 2016, and by other affected countries around the world, the European Union (EU) responded with a “Pro-Resilience – Special Measure” to assist the affected populations. The EU – North Pacific – Readiness for El Niño (RENI) project is one component of this Special Measure, which was signed on 3 November 2016.
The implementation period for the RENI project is from the date of signature of the agreement, 6 July 2017, to 30 October 2020.
- Uptake of key individual and community behaviours that support El Niño resilience
- Local area structural measures implemented to support El Niño resilience building in water and food security and paying special attention to the rights of women and vulnerable groups in outer islands
- National measures - institutional, planning and technical – implemented to support readiness for future El Niño events.
Latest publications and documents
- RENI project factsheet
- Methodology for Project Impact Assessment factsheet
- Progress and Annual Reports
- Report: 1st Steering Committee meeting (SCM), Pohnpei, FSM - April 2018
- Report: 2nd Steering Committee meeting, Majuro, Marshall Islands- April 2019
- Report on Planning Meeting, Majuro, Marshall Islands- March 2019
- RENI Inception and 2018 Progress Report
- RENI 2019 Annual Report
- RENI 2020 Jan June Progress Report rev 1
- Watch video series, 'Addressing Climate and Disaster Risk in the North Pacific Countries'
- Experiences from the 2013 and 2016 droughts in the Marshall Islands
- Outer Island Migration -A Socio-economic or Climate Change Issue or Both?
- Applying our Learning to Integrated Approaches: The RENI Experience showcased at SPC's CRGA sub-committee meeting
- Securing water for the most vulnerable Pacific islanders: Kapingamarangi, FSM
- Shorter version : Securing water for the most vulnerable Pacific islanders: Kapingamarangi, FSM
- Understanding the unique challenges of water security in the outer islands of the North Pacific
- Media releases
- Lessons Learnt
- FSM National factsheet
- Report: Yap State Project Consultations (August 2018)
- Report: Yap State Women's Group Consultations (August 2018)
- Influencing community behaviours in FSM
- Enhancing water security in communities in FSM
- Long term planning for water security in FSM
Publications and videos
- Watch video, 'Securing water for the most vulnerable Pacific islanders: Kapingamarangi, FSM'
- Watch shorter version of video, 'Securing water for the most vulnerable Pacific islanders: Kapingamarangi, FSM'
- Watch video, 'Understanding the unique challenges of water security in the outer islands of the North Pacific'
- Publication: Groundwater Resources Assessment: Gagil-Tomil, Yap State
Republic of Marshall Islands
- RMI National factsheet
- Report: National Consultations ( December 2017)
- Report: Ailuk Atoll Working Group Consultations (June 2018)
- Report: Project Design Consultations ( June 2018)
- Influencing community behaviours in RMI
- Agricultural activities in RMI
- Health and wellness activities in RMI
- Research and planning for future droughts
Publications and videos:
- Watch video, 'Experiences from the 2013 and 2016 droughts in the Marshall Islands'
- A Guide to Growing Vegetables in the Republic of Marshall Islands:
- Palau National factsheet
- Report: Ngatpang Community Consultations
Implementing agencies: Pacific Community in partnership with the governments and peoples of Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), Republic of Marshall Islands (RMI) and Palau.
Implementation period: 2017 to 2020
Budget: € 4.5 million
Gillian Cambers, Project Manager
Zhiyad Khan, Communication and Liaison Officer