The following activities are being supported under the European Union funded GCCA: PSIS project in Nauru.
Climate change adaptation project
Nauru has chosen to concentrate on improving water security as the primary goal of its adaptation project activities. The original concept was to improve household rainwater harvesting potential by replacing damaged roofs, to improve roof catchments. However, Nauru has changed project focus to now address the shortage of national water storage capacity. The need for new storage is a priority highlighted in the Nauru Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Implementation Plan (2012) and in the 2014 draft Republic of Nauru Framework for Climate Change Adaptation and Disaster Risk Reduction(RONAdapt).
Other elements of the project include community education and awareness activities.
- Concept Note
- Project Design Document
- Project Planning Workshop
- Summary Information Sheet
- Climate change profile
Technical assistance with mainstreaming of climate change and improving access to climate finance
In Nauru, the GCCA: PSIS project is supporting:
- Completion of the Republic of Nauru Framework for Climate Change Adaptation and Disaster Risk Reduction (RONAdapt), which sets out the country’s priority CCA and DRR actions and provides a tool for donors and development partners to engage with. The RONAdapt is completed and has been published (see concept note and final document).
- An assessment of the extent to which climate change has been mainstreamed into national and sectoral policies and plans (see a summary of the assessment).
- Completion of the Nauru Water and Sanitation Master Plan which details the planning considerations including the investigation of the water supply and sewerage infrastructure needs of Nauru for the next 20 years.
Training and capacity building
As part of the GCCA:PSIS project, several kinds of training have been delivered in Nauru:
- Proposal preparation and log frame analysis – January 2014 (see the workshop report, impact evaluation, and learners guide)
- Sub-regional North Pacific training on utilising the Pacific Climate Change Portal- February 2013 (see the workshop report)
- Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Training of Trainers - April 2015 (see the training report)
- National Lessons Learnt Workshop - November 2015 (see workshop report)
- See lessons learnt video produced as part of a series of nine country-specific climate change adaptation videos in 2015 :